Monday, September 17, 2012

MONDAY MADNESS, New WIP & all


Sorry I took a break from blogging the past week, but my brain needed a rest, so kicked back and rejuvenated with a good book.

1.      I finally read Unwind by Neal Shusterman. If you haven’t started reading this series, you should. Why? One, the movie is coming out soon and if you are into horror or chill-factor, you do not want to miss out. Two, Unwholly, the second book in the series was just released amid rave reviews.  Just bought it.
                                                                                           
 
The series is based in a dystopian world where they got rid of abortion but instead parents can choose to unwind their children between ages 13 and 17, have their body parts and organs harvested and given to other people. This way, the children don’t really die. Some even retain memories of their past lives. It is all in how the unwinding is done (no spoilers). Unwind follows three teen escapees who don’t want to be unwound. There’s adventure, romance and a moral dilemma. Think about it? When a child refuses to behave or acts out, should you unwind them? It’s New Age discipline. Be a good child or I'll unwind you...scary. Oh, my problem with the series is the multiple POVs. My daughter, who introduced me to the series, loves it. It drove me nuts. Still can't wait to read Unwholly.

2.      I started fast drafting my next WIP. Will keep you posted. Do you find it easier to fast draft a sequel or a new story? This is a sequel and for the entire week, I couldn’t get my characters to talk to me…sigh...hence the kicking back (LOL). I like new WIPs better. They give you room to play around with your characters. When writing sequels, you must stay true to the previous books, which meant praying and begging them to come back and chat with you.

3.      My next adult romance book will be out Oct 15th -woohoo, and I can’t wait to share the trailer. To see the trailer, stop by dult romance blo, E.B. Walters Weblog or my YOUTUBE channel. Let me know what you think. If you review adult romance, e-mail me and I'll add you to the list of my reviewers.

14 comments:

  1. Sequels are tough, but I like them. It's like spending time with old friends. Though a new WIP is like meeting new friends, so that's pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I love about sequels is not worrying about world-building, but it's always fun to spend time with old characters and see what they're up to.

      Delete
  2. I've heard Neal talk about this series in person, and he's a very interesting speaker. I think it's harder to craft a sequel (see my latest blog post) because you already have the parameters in place and consistency is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. When you write multi-genre like me, I have to reacquint myself with my characters before I can write about them again.

      Delete
  3. I haven't started a sequel yet. I have the outline done, but haven't decided to write it until the first one is actually turned into a book. In the meantime, it's all new WIPS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Eliza. My editor is almost done with the sequel I sent in, so I started the next book. Hope it get done by November

      Delete
  4. Sequels are easier than new WIP - for me - the world has already been established, I know the characters well, and I know how high to raise the stakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the same page. I love sequels. I started both and is continuing with the sequel, LOL

      Delete
  5. I LOVED 'Unwind' -- it was just the right amount of crazy. Can't wait to read 'Wnwholly'. It sounds like it's a modern retelling of 'Frakenstein', which is a very cool concept.

    I agree that a sequel can be tougher -- I've found myself going back and re-reading every line of my original WiP to make sure I get all the details right and keep everything consistent. It's also a challenge because I want to make sure that both stories flow together in a logical, cohesive manner. Tough stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unwholly cover looks great. I think the character on the cover is made up of unwound parts....totally creepy

      Delete
  6. Edna, I need your email for the blog hop. Contact me at www.michelleahansen.com/contact

    I will send you the info asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a sequel? Cool! I really enjoyed Unwind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there's Unwholly and one short one in between about Clappers

      Delete